Thursday, October 27, 2011

Oh hai, BMI. What are you?

Screw you, BMI. I have headphones.

You hear a lot of talk these days about BMI. All the kids are going on about it - the collectible character add-on packs, the robodinosaur mounts, the DLC..

Oh, yeah, sorry. That's just me making shit up again.

BMI is your Body Mass Index - a measure based on your weight and height that tells you whether you are within a healthy range of weight.  It's just another tool - like your scale is a tool.  It's an interesting one though.

It works something like this:

For adults over 20 years old, BMI falls into one of these categories: Below 18.5 (underweight), 18.5-24.9 (normal), 25.0-29.9 (Overweight) and 30.0 and above (obese).

To calculate yours, you take your... well, you get the point. If you want to educate yourself, check this out.

It's also much easier to let the internet do the calculating for you, too. Here is a BMI calculator.

I'm 6'1" tall.  When I started, my BMI was 42.3.  Yikes!  They call that "Obese Class III" - literally the top of the scale.  My 321 pounds had me classified in the worst category possible.

Right now, hanging out at 280 or so pounds, I am at a BMI rating of 36.5.  That's a good change, but still considered "Obese Class II".  I feel like I should have a little rank badge. OB2, bitches.

To get down into the 'normal' range - I'd have to be about 185 pounds, roughly.  I guess that's POSSIBLE, but I somehow find it seriously unlikely I am ever going to be that guy.  My goal is to chop 100 pounds off or so, dropping to 220.  That'd drop me to a cool 29 BMI, in the high end of the "Overweight" category.

What's your BMI? Do you care? You probably should.

In other news..

I had chili lime marinated chicken and some grilled zucchini for dinner last night, it was fantastic. I had spicy teriyaki chicken with a simple side salad Tuesday.  I guess technically, teriyaki is 'cheating' but I don't get rice, and I don't put tons of sauce on like I did in the past. So it's pretty OK. :)

I'm finding good stuff to eat and really.. I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" any more. I have almost zero urge to snack, I have done a reliable job of keeping my fingers out of the candy bowls around the office as Halloween approaches, and I even turned down some bread the other night - almost didn't - so, I think I can get down to the mystical 220 at some piont. Most likely, it ain't gonna happen until well into 2012.

Someday getting down to 185? Well. We'll see. That seems insane to me, but I am looking at it from 280 and it is a tall hill still.  Once upon a time thinking I'd be under 300 was impossible, too.

Never say never.  Unless you are saying, "Never shoot me in the face, please."

And now, a picture: 


Oh, hello. Here I am, all giant and full of sugar and fat. Hey! Where are you going?


No comments:

Post a Comment