Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rocky Horror

This past Saturday, December 3rd, Leslie and Dawn's book club decided to go see Rocky Horror Picture Show in West Seattle.  Jason and I tagged along for the ride, so there were 7 of us in total.  I haven't been to see Rocky Horror since about 1996.

The show was at the Admiral Theater which was a first for me. It is a pretty run down old joint but that sort of fit Rocky Horror just perfectly and I can see how it'd be a good place to go see a creepy movie sometime.

Before the show, we ate at a little bar/Mexican restaurant about a hundred feet away called Mission.  They had some pretty good food there, but the staff didn't do a very good job of paying much attention to us most of the time.  Fortunately we weren't in much of a hurry.

Dawn got some very tasty stuffed jalapenos while we were waiting for the others to show up, they had peaches and crème fraîche inside, and weren't seeded - nice and spicy. Definitely recommended.

They looked to have a very well-stocked bar as well and an attractive display of the bottles, etc, but alcohol is still off my list for the time being so I admired it quietly from afar. ;)

I ordered pork carnitas for dinner - this is a dish I have discovered I really like at other places too.  You can even get a pretty decent facsimile of it at a Chipotle if you go for the carnitas tacos and only have them add their mile (chunky) and medium salsa.

At mission, they looked like this, and they were full of goodness.  I love simple little bits of food like this, and corn tortillas are much healthier than flour.  My picture is kind of terrible, but the lighting wasn't very friendly to photos and I don't want to be that guy using a flash to take photos of his dinner.. it'd be a little odd.

I'm going to try making my own version of these at home and coming up with a good recipe to share. Basically they are just marinated pulled pork served in warm corn tortillas with some diced onion, fresh salsa and cilantro.  I thought the crème fraîche was good but I could live without it, the flavor here comes from the pork and the salsa.  I figure about 170 calories for the pork, 20-30 for the salsa, barely anything for onion, and a corn tortilla is about 50-60 calories.  A meal of three of these was probably in the 700-800 calorie range with the extra stuff in there.  We'll see what my version turns out like, since I'll be trying to trim that up.

Photos outside the theater.
The show was pretty awesome.  It's the first time I've seen Rocky Horror with a live theater crew performing the movie and the guys there did a great job of entertaining everyone. Predictably, tons of people were there in the audience and most of them decked out in various states of costume or undress.  There was an initiation for the first-time showgoers which Jason and I took part in, him  more than I, by luck of the random draw of a card - literally.

Theater Two at the Admiral.
We all had a pretty good time, and Dawn is interested in going back to see it again sometime.  I've not spent much time in that neighborhood but it was pretty fun to hang out there.  I really like relaxing at a bar like that for a few hours and bullshitting with friends, it's a pretty awesome way to spend a weekend evening.

To wrap things up, I'll just toss a few more pictures at you.  There was some pretty cool artwork posted in the theater lobby and I snagged a few shots of that. All in all an awesome Saturday.  Sunday morning, I went out and did my walk and then helped Dawn get the rest of our Christmas decorations up so we're all set for the holidays in that regard. It was a great weekend. :)


From the Mission wall.

Another from the wall.

Artwork in the Admiral Theater lobby.


My favorite. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment