Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spices!

SPICES!

The Dukan diet can get a little bland without spices, so liberal use of them is critical.  However there is a major problem with doing a lot of your own cooking...

Spices are expensive!

My tip for the moment: Go bulk and buy your spices, in almost all cases you will save a TON.

Example, this bottle of Cumin is about $7.00 at most stores around here. Ouch! And we had 4 other spices to re-stock during our last shopping trip.

Buying enough cumin to refill this whole bottle and have some left over (as you can see) - About $2.25 from the bulk section in our store. You might have to go look in the 'organic' or 'health nut' section of the store to find bulk spices.  We restocked chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder, all for about $12.  If we'd bought SMALLER amounts, pre-bottled, it would have cost us up to $35-40.  Every penny counts, especially as we're spending a bit more on meat for my mostly-carnivore diet. ;)

Also on an unrelated side-note:

I weighed in at 293.5lb yesterday morning.

This morning? 290.5 - checked it three times. WTF! My body is doing weird things as I lose weight.  I am guessing I had some water weight held because of veggie days this weekend and yesterday I shed it.  So that means I've lost 30.5lb so far - over my short term goal of 30!

Next goal weight is 275.  Once I get to that - I'm going to reward myself with a new winter coat. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment